Thursday, June 17, 2010

14 miles

I've been a very bad blogger. But in efforts to catch up, here's what we've been up to. 14 miles....we've walked 14 miles to support causes close to our heart. The first was the March for Babies in April.


Left to Right: Sonya (Courtney's sister), Courtney (minus Olivia since the weather was unpredictable), me, Vicky. In front: Keegan, Louden, and Parker (34 weeker)

5 miles - 1 hour 40 minutes pushing this massive stroller.  Fortunately, we beat the rain by minutes.  Team "Murray Boys" raised $245 for the March of Dimes.  The Williams' intended to join us and were heavy contributors to our donations, but Sara fell ill that week.

I made shirts for all the kids using the bleach pen and freezer paper technique seen HERE.   


Sorry about the crappy pictures, they were taken with a cell phone.  I was going to take a photo of everyone together in their t's but I forgot, I have 2 year olds.....pictures are impossible.  Keegan is sporting his "I roll with preemies" tshirt today :)




Next up was the SMA walk in Cincinnati.  This was a 5K to support the battle against Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), the Number ONE genetic killer of infants. We were happy to join in Team Sweet Girlies.  We walked I will be meeting my friends Sara and Brook. Brook lost her identical twin girls to SMA last year, see her story HERE.

The event was moved inside due to rain, but since it was held at Xavier University, we were still able to participate.  Tootsie Roll was a big sponsor, here are the boys enjoying a "prize" for winning a game (which involved pulling a sucker off a board).


Lots of fun activities including balloon animals (these were dogs at one time)



& we took a break to dance and steal some unattended balloons



Next up was the Race for the Cure .  52,000 participants....completely overwhelming.  The photos speak for themselves:

 
Courtney with Olivia on her first 5K.

The start


mid-point


How do you NOT take a picture of that?

Finally, the one most near and dear to my heart, the Lung Walk.  It was important for me to do this, rain or shine, in remembrance of my Mom, which lost her battle with small cell lung cancer 3 years ago.  I would give anything for a hour, to introduce her my kids, but that's not happening.  All I can do is live my life in a way that would make her proud.  This walk, as small as it seems, would have made her smile.


A surprise from my friend, Sara!!!  Well, I ruined the surprise, but it was a beautiful gesture.


We wore yellow because it was Mom's favorite.  Had I known how unflattering this look was, I would have gotten a mu mu. :)


Could this be any cuter?  After the race, we hung out, re-hydrated, and the kids watched the train.

I made shirts this time, too.  Simply with iron on transfer paper.


sorry, more crappy cell phone pictures.


Team Murray boys was further joined by Vicky with Parker, Courtney with Olivia, Sara's Mom Angela (my new Mom) and her sister AnnaMarieUnfortnately we weren't able to get an entire group shot and considering how hot it was, there was no way that was happening after the fact.

Sorry for the heavy post, I'll try to keep up with this blog more often.  


Photobucket 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE comments!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...