Friday, May 27, 2011

Last Day of Preschool

Yesterday was the boys' last day at preschool.  I don't think they realize it yet, especially since they've been screaming "skool bus" all day.

To prepare, we made teacher gifts for both their teachers, all the aides, the school bus driver, and the driver's aid.


Here we are leaving for the bus stop.


At the bus stop.  


The school had a graduation ceremony and invited all classmates to participate, even if you weren't going to kindergarten.  Before it even started, I looked at the girl next to me and said "I'm going to cry".  Yep--I was the only one.  I forgot my Flip video, so I took a short clip on my point and shoot camera.

Here's Louden trying to sing along with his class (the Butterflies).  This moment touched my heart so much, 2 months ago, he had a vocab of 30 +/- words....the fact that he was even trying to sing made we jump up and down with excitement.  While at the same time my heart is breaking to see how much further he has to go.  This undiscriminating speech delay really sucks.



here are they lyrics to "One Small Voice"

With just one small voice
Singing out a song
With just one small voice
Singing sweet and strong
One by one they’ll grow
And together sing along
And then soon all the world
Will be singing
With just one small voice
Singing out a song
With just one small voice
Singing sweet and strong
One by one they’ll grow
And together sing along
And then soon all the world
Will be singing



Here's Keegan singing with his class (The Toucans), well, he's just signing.  But, he's standing there, participating, in front of a crowd.  He's still rad.

  



Keegan sporting his Toucan showing some class love.


I am so excited with the progress  that we have seen within the past few months and know that preschool had everything to do with it.  The school psychologist made it a point to pull me aside to tell me the same thing.  She wasn't there to witness the evaluation from hell, but she did hear all about it.

They have progressed beyond speech.  They can follow directions, participate in activities, etc.  There is no substitute for peer to peer interaction.   It was interesting to see the boys' report cards, but I'm anxious for our next appoint at Children's with their private speech therapist so we can discuss in detail how they are doing (I need her to explain the report to me in layman terms). 

They attended an afternoon class that kept them busy 4 days a week, 4 hours a day.  Hopefully we'll find a way to keep the boys occupied all summer with a good substitute.  

Now what do I do for a bribe to get them dressed in the morning?


1 comment:

  1. Aww, congrats Louden and Keegan (and their proud parents)! I love the videos. I hope things do well with the speech therapist! I don't know anything about this evaluation from hell you mentioned, but my mom is a school psychologist, so I can only imagine from the horror stories she tells me.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...